Reports to: Chief Executive Officer/President
Status: Exempt, Full Time
General Description: The Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) oversees and manages administrative and revenue generating departments including but not limited to: Workplace Giving, Major Gifts, Marketing, Volunteer Management and Information Technology’s strategies and initiatives. The CSO will complement the Chief Finance Officer (CFO) and Chief Program Officer (CPO) by bridging the gap between the CEO and all operations. The CEO is the visionary leader, and the CSO will manage the integration and execution of strategy and ongoing operation of the agency by managing the day-to-day strategy in above stated areas.
- As a member of the Senior Chief Management Team the CSO will provide a strong leadership role to author, lead and operationalize the organization’s Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for ensuring cross-coordination and integration among all agency departments.
- Provides assistance to the CEO in staffing special committees and in the administration of functions that enable the organization to meet its commitments to the community.
Strategy and Organizational Structure:
- Responsible for authoring, leading, building and identifying that the goals and objectives established in the organization’s strategic plan are carried out in a timely manner.
- Takes the big ideas and vision and breaks them down into actionable steps to ensure that they’re done efficiently, effectively and with measured results.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining performance measurements of the strategic plan and working with department managers to ensure that the performance targets are being met.
- Analyzes the progress of annual operating plan goals and metrics and makes strategic recommendations as needed.
- Assists the CEO and CFO in developing the annual budget and assumes responsibility for its administration.
- Routinely reviews and analyzes the strengths and weaknesses of the organization.
- Assists the CEO in establishing and developing appropriate operating policies and procedures.
- Maintains knowledge of current and evolving economic, political, technical, and general business trends that may impact United Way of Broward County’s fundraising and revenue results.
- Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines.
- Will fill in leadership gaps, fix big issues, and execute core strategy in concert with the senior leadership and involves the entire staff in strategic process, buy-in, and execution.
- Uses data to plan, project and implement future strategy objectives staying ahead of trends and utilizes predictive analytics to ensure a sound strategy and robust outcomes.
Revenue Generation and Fundraising for Impact:
- In partnership with the Vice President of Workplace Campaigns, plans, organizes, analyzes and implements the annual workplace fundraising and sponsorship campaign for United Way.
- Works with the Vice President of Major Gifts to ensure that we analyze, create and implement a plan to grow, cultivate, steward, and WOW our current and prospect donors.
- Cultivates and sustains positive, productive relationships with donors, volunteers, community and business leaders, fund recipients, and staff.
- Evaluates resource development results; recommends changes, organizes and develops an appropriate volunteer structure through which the community-wide support for the fundraising appeal is achieved; provides support and assistance to the volunteer leadership and Resource Development staff.
- Works with the CEO and CPO and senior team to plan, organize, and implement new revenue streams to support Community Impact work. This includes but is not limited to online giving campaigns, federal/state/local grants, endowment campaigns, fundraising events, capitol giving, foundations, sponsorships, and corporate giving and the addition of affinity group programs.
Marketing and Communications:
- Works with the CEO and VP Marketing and Communications in developing and directing the implementation of long and short range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s fundraising, impact and communication goals.
- Works with the VP Marketing and Communications to develop an annual Marketing and Communications strategic/tactical plan, including public relations and social media.
- Works with the VP Marketing and Communications to help United Way to become a true story telling organization, training all key stakeholders on our brand guidelines and key messaging.
- Coaches, guides, motivates, and participates in the training, professional development, and evaluation of direct reports.
- Understands and motivates individuals in a positive collaborative manner.
- Embraces and implements the diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism platforms and efforts and helps analyses ways to break down systemic challenges to our community.
- Provides leadership, goal-setting, accountability and strategic direction for all direct reports and staff.
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion and/or approval of organizational documents, including but not limited to score cards, performance reviews, professional development plans, goals and objectives, timekeeping, expense and travel reimbursements, credit card reports, requisitions, and ongoing documentation of performance accomplishments and areas requiring improvement.
Additional Competencies and Knowledge:
- Ability to ensure that all informational data is current, appropriate to goals and outcomes, and supports all organizational needs.
- Ability to generate excitement and energy around the organization’s mission and activities, encouraging others to provide financial support.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Network Oriented - Fosters trust, interdependence and collaboration.
Supervision and Working Relationships Supervisory Direction Received:
- Works in support of and at the direction of the President/CEO.
Supervises: VP Workplace Campaigns, VP Marketing and Communications, VP Major Gifts, Information Technology Staff, Grants Manager and others as needed.
Education, Training, and Previous Work Experience:
- Master’s Degree in human services or business administration preferred; Bachelor’s required.
- Minimum of 10 years related work experience with executive leadership experience in strategic planning, fundraising, resource development, program development, administration and/or fiscal oversight.
- Proven track record with building cross functional teams and internal collaboration.
- Must have extensive experience in strategic planning, goal achievement and accountability.
- Successful public speaking and training/facilitation experience preferred.
- Technical Knowledge: Proficient with MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and more.
- The ideal candidate will be: Overly organized, methodical, data-driven, detailed orientated, driven by results, process and outcome oriented and able to align all departments together with good energy and integrity.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Email resume and cover letter for consideration to: hr@UnitedWayBroward.org