Department: Community Impact, Commission on Behavioral Health & Drug Prevention
Reports to: VP Community Impact, Health Initiatives
Status: Exempt, Full Time
General Description: This position is responsible for coordination of the Board of Governors and its subcommittees. The community building component of the Commission, resource development and effective program implementations. Also, the position focus in the development of strategies and tactics for an integrated approach to United Way of Broward County's (UWBC) community impact process in the area of Health. (Grant Funded)
Primary Job Responsibility & Duties:
- Responsible for the coordination of the Board of Governors and its key committees.
- Has the primary duty of managing the day to day operations of the Commission - Community/Coalition division.
- Has responsibility for the development, operation and evaluation of all Commission initiatives related to the Board of Governors and its key committees.
- Responsible for the development and execution of the Commission on Substance Abuse annual operation plan.
- Promote the Commission to agencies, businesses and the Broward County community
- Manage environmental campaigns and Commission work plan.
- Responsible for the services/utilization management and outcomes for the community work.
Other Job Duties:
- Implements policies and procedures as it relates to the Coalition and its programs and activities.
- Is a spokesperson for the Commission and represents the organization at appropriate public functions.
- Responsible for managing assigned budgets and contracts.
- Responsible for managing all aspect of performance, inclusive of billing for assigned team.
- Recruits, develops and motivates volunteers to enhance the community building and fund raising efforts and to support the day-to-day administration of the Commission.
- Plans, develops and implements initiatives for community building to meet the needs of the community and the goals of Commission through strategic planning and ongoing assessment of resource needs.
- Working with the VP, Health Initiatives and the Chief Program Officer creating and coordinates a Marketing & Communications plan.
- Coordinate and conduct a year round strategy of educational campaigns to promote the work of the Commission and to encourage public interest, understanding and concern for the health and welfare of the people of the community.
- Responsible for the supervision, training, and development of the Commission’s Prevention Specialists.
- Directs the strategic management and operation for the assigned area to ensure continued improvement of all aspects its operation consistent with the vision and mission of The Commission.
- Represents UWBC at public and private functions.
- Participates in developing organization-wide policies and procedures.
- Serves on various internal/external committees – locally, state and nationally as designated and needed for the benefit of UWBC.
- Due to the leadership role UWBC is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all UWBC staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
Supervises: Prevention Specialist, Temporary employees and Volunteers.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in one of the following fields: social work business administration, urban affairs, public administration, management, or other related fields. Masters Strongly Preferred
- Five or more years experience in social service agency (preferably with a major in community organization) in progressively more responsible job-related senior management positions.
- In Lieu of degree 7-10 years of management experience within a major community organization will be considered with completion of degree to be attained within 12 months.
- Experience in both business and not-for-profit setting desirable. Administrative and supervisory experience working with volunteers and staff required
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Email resume and cover letter for consideration to: mruiz@UnitedWayBroward.org