Department: Resource Development
Reports to: Vice President, Major Gifts
Status: Exempt, Full Time
General Description: The incumbent will identify, cultivate and solicit individual high net worth prospects and donors capable of supporting the mission of United Way of Broward with an emphasis on Major Gifts through Women’s Philanthropy.
The Director, Major Gifts – Women’s Philanthropy will:
- Build and sustain trusted relationships with a portfolio of current, lapsed and prospective Leadership donors and, where appropriate, Major Gifts donors to connect them to United Way of Broward County
- Identify, engage and re-engage high capacity donors through individual giving, corporate partnerships, and planned giving
- Identify and engage donors and prospective donors in opportunities for participation and leadership
- Develop a robust Women United Affinity group volunteer structure to include developing a cadre of volunteer solicitors and specific roles
- Develop women ambassadors for United Way
Emphasize cultivating new donors and maintaining current leadership and major gifts from individual donors, work place, and corporate partners.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Duties:
Management – Women United:
- Serve as the liaison between Women United and the United Way of Broward
- Assure the recruitment, training, evaluation and motivation of volunteers, ensuring a fulfilling experience
- In collaboration with affinity groups chairs and committees, develop and implement overall and individual affinity groups goals, reporting and execution of plan that supports and advances fundraising results
- Develop, support and maintain relationships with the affinities/leadership level chairs, committee members and other volunteer
- Effectively develop, organize, manage support and motivate a volunteer team to aid in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of leadership level capacity donors and prospective donors
- Develop meaningful ways to engage affinity/giving level group members throughout the year including personal visits, executing unique events and volunteer opportunities to connect our members to the work United Way is doing in Broward County
- Ensure partnership with Campaign team for penetration of workplace firms/corporations with affinity groups engagement opportunities
- Partner with Resource Development for identification of prospects
- In engaging leadership donors, align donor interest with increased support of United Way community initiatives
- In collaboration with Major Gifts create and implement a stewardship and recognition plan, including thanking donors, events and leadership registry
- Work with the Event Manager to enhance events and programs designed to secure both short- and long-range fundraising objectives
- Support/coordinate and recruit for UWBC events and programs
- Serve as liaison between Development, Community Impact, Finance and Marketing staff to ensure timely communication to leadership giving donors
- Cultivate, steward and build trusted relationships with a portfolio of leadership and major gift level donors and prospective leadership level and major donors to generate new and increased giving
- Conduct individually tailored one-on-one cultivation and solicitation meetings and work with appropriate volunteers to strategize and manage their cultivation and solicitation of targeted donors
- Identify and solicit new major gifts, corporate partners, and planned giving donors
Other Job Duties:
- Attend department staff meetings as needed
- Assist in United Way initiatives, projects and events
- Attend meetings, events and conferences within United Way of Broward County and at outside agencies/organizations deemed appropriate in furthering the responsibilities of the position
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Other duties as assigned
Supervise(s): Temporary staff; Volunteers, Admin
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum three years’ in a fundraising, development and/or sales, capacity required. Thorough working knowledge of relationship-based fundraising procedures and philosophies.
- Must be detail oriented, have excellent oral, written and presentation skills, be computer literate, and demonstrate strong leadership, interpersonal and management skills.
- Ability to work comfortably and professionally with individuals of high net worth.
- Excellent listening skills, with the proven ability to solicit information from others.
- Proven project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple projects in varying degrees of implementation.
- Proven ability to create, grow and retain strong customer relationships.
- Proven ability to build strong collaborative relationships across organizations and work cooperatively and flexibly as part of a team.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Prior supervisory experience is a plus.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Email resume and cover letter for consideration to: mruiz@UnitedWayBroward.org