Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
General Description: Responsible for developing and promoting United Way and its work to Broward County through various methods and marketing channels. The role focuses on generating volunteer and engaging donor interest while supporting our community work through compelling content.
- Writes compelling donor communications that support United Way’s work and increases impact dollars
- Prepares internal and external communications, assuring accuracy and timeliness of communications including, but not limited to: speeches, talking points, campaign materials, presentations, brochures, flyers, reports – Annual/Community Impact/Donor, success stories, blog articles, newsletters – print and digital and letters
- Writes captivating stories to educate, engage and touch our stakeholders
- Develops short sharable content and longer editorial pieces to create immediate content/articles
- Develops marketing campaign/opportunities with Resource Development and Community Impact to develop content creation and marketing strategies
- Oversees content calendar ensuring all communication outlets are fresh, meaningful and current
Other Job Duties:
- Creates communication pieces such as letters (thank you, donor, direct mail, holiday), e-newsletter/e-mail content both internal and external
- Develops program reports, donor impact reports, community impact reports, communication toolkits for the organization, campaign materials to support United Way’s programs and affinity groups and miscellaneous marketing materials
- Drafts talking points and scripts/speeches including, but not limited to: events, campaign presentations, videos CEO communications including weekly opinion pieces, video scripts, op-eds, emails, thank you letters and more
- Production of creative and engaging content for digital and print media
- Collaborate with United Way funded programs to identify successes followed by interviews to create success stories showcasing our work in the community
- Oversees the content and graphics on the website to ensure all information is correct and up-to-date
- Optimize United Way’s blog by creating custom, engaging content to enhance our SEO
- Creates/seeks opportunities to promote United Way of Broward County’s work through online award submissions
- Ensures effective, timely and grammatically correct marketing and communication support, must meet deadlines
- Ensures all communication adheres to United Way’s brand guidelines
- Route projects for review, proofreading and approvals
- Works in a team environment and will have close inter-departmental relationships with multi-department managers
- Attends United Way of Broward County functions, some which may be after hours
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization’s crisis plan and response efforts
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent, including three years’ experience in journalism, public relations, advertising, communications, or marketing
- Superior writing, grammatical and interpersonal communication skills a must
- Must be conceptual and have a strong attention to detail
- Proficiency required in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Constant Contact and other related computer programs as needed.
- Creative/strategic direction required for donor/volunteer engagement
- Ability to prioritize and adjust to multiple assignments with potentially conflicting timelines
- Strategic mindset for how content can be used across an organization and with varying audiences
- Understanding of video production process and how stories are told visually.
- Experience working with or knowledge of United Way operations desirable
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.
Please email resume and cover letter to Human Resources at hr@UnitedWayBroward.org