SSVF Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Manager, SSVF Outreach
Status: Exempt, Full Time (Grant Funded)
General Description: This is a grant funded position under the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Program. The Outreach and Eligibility Specialist works directly with homeless or unstably housed veterans and their families to assess eligibility, evaluate resources, needs, and barriers to make referrals to the appropriate program and/or agency.
Primary Job Responsibility & Duties:
- Assists with developing strategies for identifying and enrolling veterans for the SSVF Program.
- Facilitates the screening process and enrollment of veterans into the SSVF Program.
- Establishes methods for linking veterans to services available in the community.
- Conducts and coordinates participation in street outreach to identify homeless veterans and presents the SSVF Program as an alternative to homelessness.
- Reports on the day to day operations of the SSVF outreach component including outreach activities, referrals made, and progress towards meeting established outreach goals.
- Develops community relationships and partnerships to enhance outreach activities.
- Serves as the primary SSVF program liaison for Veterans Administration housing and HUD-VASH services. Refers VA housing and HUD-VASH cases to case management component of SSVF.
- Represents United Way Broward County as a member of the Broward and Miami-Dade County Continuum of Care (CoC) Homeless Veteran By Name List Committee. Updates By Name List when appropriate.
Other Job Duties:
- Coordinates referrals from community providers and residents to identify Veteran housing needs that pertain to obtaining and maintaining stable housing in Broward and Miami-Dade County.
- Explains program eligibility criteria and assesses potential clients for eligibility to make appropriate referrals to programs or agencies.
- Maintains up-to-date information regarding client encounters and outreach efforts utilizing the Broward and/or Miami-Dade County Homeless Management Information System (HMIS). Tracks efforts.
- Enrolls eligible veterans in the SSVF program by obtaining qualifying veteran eligibility information. Makes referrals as appropriate to contracted case management services.
- Informs Outreach Manager of any unusual events and document incidents appropriately.
- Attends staff meetings, in-service trainings, supervision meetings, community events.
- Adheres to all Policies and Procedures of United Way of Broward County.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, have basic business knowledge, and professionally represent oneself, as well as represent United Way of Broward County in a positive manner.
- Maintains client confidentiality at all times. Uses judgment and tact in dealing with internal and external inquiries.
- Assists with coordination of community facing aspects of SSVF program including public speaking engagements, developing marketing materials, and outgoing SSVF outreach communications and announcements.
- Works independently and only under general supervision; ability to work offsite; uses discretion and judgment in the performance of daily duties.
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization’s crisis plan and response efforts.
Education & Experience:
- Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Service field with 1-2 years’ experience OR
- Veteran status* with equivalent service experience and/or certifications.
- Experience working with low income and/or homeless population preferred.
- Experience working with veterans and/or service members strongly preferred.
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends.
- Will be required to drive to various outreach locations in Broward and Miami-Dade County. MUST have reliable transportation.
- Computer Proficiency required on Microsoft Office software programs.
- Strong desire to help others in need. Must be self-motivated, compassionate, have a positive attitude and determined to advocate for the rights and needs and vulnerable people in our community.
*Veteran status is for the purposes of this position defined as two (2) or more years of active duty and a service discharge with an Honorable or General qualification.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Email resume and cover letter for consideration to: [email protected]