Department: Community Impact, United Way of Broward County's Commission on Behavioral Health & Drug Prevention
Reports to: Director, United Way of Broward County's Commission on Behavioral Health & Drug Prevention
Status: Exempt, Full Time (Grant Funded)
General Description: This position will work to empower communities to promote alcohol and drug free lifestyles; build community structures to support those lifestyles; and encourage and support coordinated, systemic approaches to the prevention of substance abuse. (This is a grant funded position).
Primary Job Responsibility & Duties:
- Provides and arranges Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF) related activities inclusive but not limited to: assessments, trainings, technical assistance, and workforce development for social service providers, community coalitions and Broward County residents related to Substance Abuse Prevention and Mental Health promotion.
- Works within the Commission’s Comprehensive Community Prevention Action Plan (CCPAP) 2019-2021 implementing Information Dissemination Efforts, Environmental Strategies, Substance Abuse Prevention Initiatives, Evidence-Based Strategies, Programs or other Promising Practices.
- Establishes both formal and informal alliances with organizations which have similar or allied goals, such as the School Board, local law enforcement, health care providers, community centers, and service providers. Supports the establishment of surveillance to action networks within targeted cities and municipalities.
Other Job Duties:
- Manages and implements community initiatives such as Broward Youth Coalition BYC,– Center for Disease Control CDC-Data to Action inclusive but not limited to Peer to Peer Learning/Prevention or others.
- Serves as liaison to designated action teams and supports/provides technical assistance to meet/exceed yearly plans.
- Meets with and enlist key local stakeholders, coalitions, and service providers to promote the goals of the United Way Of Broward County’s Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention
- Coordinates and assists in the organization of activities, such as the annual Prevention Youth Conference, Health/Community Fairs, Action Teams Events, Town Hall meetings, Broward Youth Coalition activities, Commission Task Forces, Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training Program (SAPST-SAMHSA) and other events to support prevention strategies consistent with the Comprehensive Community Prevention Action Plan (CCPAP).
- Responsible for completing and maintaining all mandatory support documentation, data entry and/or deliverable reports which comply with contract requirements for timelines and accuracy.
- Responsible for prompt compliance with all Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention and/or United Way of Broward regulations and requirements.
- Maintains productivity and documentation requirements and expected billable units and/or deliverables per week.
- Delivers reports, timesheets and other documents as requested.
- Responsible and accountable for attendance at Commission Board Meetings supervision meetings, and audit preparation meetings.
- Maintains accurate, timely planning information as requested inclusive but not limited to Outlook and other systems.
- Serves as a customer service role model to insure a positive relationship in interactions with all clients, the community, and peers.
- Perform duties as needed and/or requested to support and maintain accreditation standards and continuous quality improvement of the Commission on Behavioral Health and Drug Prevention and United Way of Broward.
- Must be able to work evenings/weekends and maintain reliable transportation.
- Must be able to be at work on a consistent basis with regular attendance and punctuality and be willing and able to handle all the duties and responsibilities of this position on a daily basis.
- Responds appropriately and effectively to the diversity of co-workers, consumers and stakeholders.
- Takes responsibility for other assignments as they arise in the development of UWBCBH activities.
- Coordinates planning and requests from other Divisions that relate to UWBCBH & DP.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
Combination of education and experience represented by:
- Bachelor Degree and a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in Substance Abuse Prevention, Mental Health Promotion or related field.
- Experience in Human Services Substance Abuse/Mental Health, community organization, program outreach and training facilitation, required.
- Certified Prevention Professional, preferred.
- Coalition work experience, preferred.
- Administrative & supervisory experience working with volunteers.
- High Proficiency required in Excel and other related computer programs.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Email resume and cover letter for consideration to: mruiz@UnitedWayBroward.org