More than 2,800 men, women and children are homeless in broward county and 50% of households are alice (asset limited, income constrained, employed).
United Way of Broward County is working with non-profits, the county, cities and the business community to provide apartments for chronically homeless people and ensure they receive the mental health and medical services they need to remain safely housed and off the streets. In addition, we are collecting supplies to help with daily personal needs. Click here to download the flyer.
three ways to help:
- Host a Shoebox Party with friends
- Donate $20 per shoebox. We'll do the rest!
- Drop off shoeboxes to United Way of Broward County.
Collection Dates: March 2nd - May 6th
Create a Shoebox
Step 1: You can provide essential daily items to a man, woman or child in need. Decorate a shoebox and fill it with toiletries, such as:
- travel-size shampoo
- travel-size soap
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- travel-size lotion
- hair comb/brush
- lip balm
- adhesive bandages
- hand towels
- antibiotic ointment
- panty liners
- travel-size water bottles
- rain ponchos
- resealable zipper storage bags
- prepaid phone cards
We cannot accept medicine, food, sewing kits, used or opened items.
Step 2: Wrap Your Shoebox
Have fun and be creative! Those who will receive the box will feel like they are receiving a special gift.
Step 3: Write a Note of Encouragement
Those who are receiving the boxes are going through a difficult time, provide a note with words of encouragement that will brighten their day.
Step 4: Take Pictures with Your Box
- Share them with us on social media by tagging us Facebook/Twitter @unitedwaybc and Instagram @unitedwayofbroward
- If tagged your box will be added to a Facebook album on United Way of Broward County's page and the box with the most likes will win a prize