Did You Know?
- Nearly 50% of Broward households spend 30% or more of their income just on housing.
- Broward County has more than 230,000 residents receiving Federal Food Assistance.
- More than 270,000 adults and over 80,000 children are living in poverty.
You Can Help
You Can Help a family become financially stable and self-sufficient. Your support provides struggling individuals and families with the resources needed to create better opportunities for earning, keeping, and growing their assets.
Making a Difference for Families and Individuals
- Center for Working Families – a comprehensive prosperity initiative helping individuals and families on a path towards permanent self-sufficiency. Earn it – increasing earnings and income, Keep it – reducing financial transaction costs, Grow it – building wealth.
- Meet ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) 45% of Broward working households struggle to make ends meet and fall below a basic survival budget due to the high cost of housing, transportation, childcare, healthcare and food. The ALICE report equips businesses and government with the awareness and data to help stabilize hard working families. Short and long term solutions create more opportunities for everyone.
- Free Tax Preparation – The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free basic income tax return preparation to people who make $54,000 or less, have disabilities or have a limited understanding of English. The Mobile Resource Center RV provides this service to those without transportation.
What Success Looks Like
Empowering people to earn, keep and grow assets
Low-income individuals and families in Broward County are able to move from earning the median income or below to earning a living wage through:
- Family Sustaining Employment
- Money Management
- Asset Growth